Sunday 16 January 2011

Breaking news, or, where's the craic?

Horizone play area Havant available for birthday partiesIt all started as a day like any other day. We managed to get to Havant by elevenish and Jof dropped us off at Horizone and went to Giant Tesco to do the shopping. 
The play area was brill and Bud found a table to be our base camp while we scaled the north col. It's larger than Kaves, Pirate Pete's and Playzone and has a decent cafe where you can get salady things as well as chips. We all went down the big bouncy slide and threw balls at each other on the rope bridge and generally did all the stuff. Every now and then we did a fly-by munch or swig at Bud's table. After about an hour I fell off one of the red triangle things you can see in this picture and landed awkwardly on my arm. This hurt somewhat and I whinged a little bit. One of the kindly Yellowjackets took me back to Bud. He (the big meany) declined the offer of a free ride in the back of an ambulance in the vain hope that it was just a bang on the arm and would get better.
children's X-ray, queen alexandra hospital portsmouthIt didn't so he rang Jof who abandoned her full shopping trolley in the electrical goods section (sorry, Tesco) and drove over to pick us up. After a bit of indecision we approached a handy paramedic who was having a tea break in the car park and he cut half my shirt off and put my arm in a sling. Because this simple act had generated paperwork, he then accompanied us to QA hospital A+E where we sailed past the crowds and went straight in. Pops got me a PooBear book and we discussed the 2 rugby players who had arrived in neck braces. The nice Doc sent me to X-Ray where there was a Gruffalo and then the nurse put my arm in a plaster cast (the temporary one, not the big hard one you can write on) and I was done. I was brave and wowed the nurses with my urbane wit.
the patient, boy with a broken armI have to go back in 9 days so the bone doctor can look at it. It was nice that Pops was with me (I've visited this hospital with Ben and now Pops, it's the in place to take your friends) but her Dad came to pick her up when we didn't know how long I'd be. The elbow itself doesn't have a huge crack in it or anything but the soft bone is a little crunched so it still hurts. Bathtime will be fun!
We got home after 3pm so Bud filled another shopping trolley and then took Ben's birthday present round to him. This is a job I should have done but I was indisposed. Ben loved the present and put it on immediately with the assistance of StormFuhrer Grandma. It's very groovy but has an unrealistically large codpiece for one so young.junior stormtrooper costume, big codpiece


I missed seeing Erin, Ben and the JoniBobs who were playing with Ben's new toys. If Johnny ever learns to shoot that bow and arrow we're all goners.
 It's going to be interesting getting used to this so I'm not going to be in school tomorrow but most certainly will be on Tuesday.
Speaking of hospitals and the government's love of league tables, do blood banks compete in the IV league?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm glad you want to comment, for I like messages from humans. But if you're a Robot spam program, Google will put you in the spam folder for me to laugh at later.